Parsons School of Design, a division of The New School, seeks applicants for Assistant Professor of Integrated Design, a faculty position on a renewable term appointment (RTA) at the rank of assistant professor within the School of Design Strategies (SDS).
Candidates must be able to demonstrate expertise in the practice and teaching of design, integrating experience in one or more of the following areas: sustainable systems and services; emerging markets and alternative business strategies; working with artisan and maker communities locally and globally; and innovative and sustainable models for production, distribution and consumption. Candidates should demonstrate a transdisciplinary approach using methods such as iterative prototyping, digital fabrication and critical making, while engaging in real world contexts. Candidates with experience in the following design areas are strongly encouraged to apply: wearable technologies; and theory of the body, garment, and/or fashion systems, with sensitivity toward participatory and co-design that factors in experience in other social and political concerns; or service and experiential design. The New School is committed to actively recruiting applicants from a diverse pool. We encourage candidates from groups underrepresented in US higher education to apply.
The faculty member will teach at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, primarily in the BFA in Integrated Design, and MFA in Transdisciplinary Design programs, but may be expected to teach students from across Parsons and the university. The faculty member will teach 5 courses or equivalent per academic year. Faculty are expected to be current in his/her field of expertise, pursue their own research and/or projects, participate in academic committees devoted to curriculum development and governance, to hold regular office hours, and participate in extracurricular activities (e.g., critiques, review panels, thesis supervision, advising, independent study, etc.) on a regular basis. University citizenship may also include additional service assignments such as rotating leadership roles, program directorship (with course release), and chairing committees and task forces. The faculty member must have the capacity to direct a baccalaureate or master’s level degree program in the field. Program directors work within a leadership team to implement support for curricula, policies, and facility designs that are responsive to and respectful of diverse users. The faculty member must actively contribute in maintaining an educationally diverse and creative community in all its activities and programs.
The final decision to hire is subject to budget approval by the Office of the Provost.
- A terminal degree or demonstrated equivalent in candidate’s field of design practice.
- Active, current professional practice or experimental creative/critical scholarship.
- At least 1-3 years of teaching experience at university level.
- Curriculum design and development experience.
- Experience working well within a collaborative process or practice.
- Interest in developing serious critical, historical, and theoretical discussions around design in the classroom and studio.
- Ability to develop and nurture individual students’ design abilities and a strong commitment to progressive design education
- Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills.
- Good and collegial management and leadership skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, communicate and motivate effectively.
- An interest in working collaboratively within Parsons, the University, and with external partners toward the development of shared projects and initiatives.
Applicants for faculty positions must apply on-line using the streamlined faculty application on The New School human resources website http://careers.newschool.edu. Applicants may be contacted at the discretion of the search committee for additional materials, such as digital work samples.