About Kristiania University College
Kristiania University College (HUC) is an accredited university college and foundation with 10 000 students and 580 employees, distributed between different campuses in Oslo and Bergen. Today, HK consists of the School of Arts, Design, and Media, School of Communication, Leadership, and Marketing, School of Economics, Innovation and Technology and the School of Health and Sciences. All profits from the foundation are returned to the university college and invested in the student’s best interest. In recent years, we have seen a formidable growth, but we are going even further. Our ambition is to become the first private university in Norway, and we hope you want to join us on this journey.
About the Westerdals institute of Communication and Design, School of Arts, Design, and Media
Westerdals institute of Communication has 28 employees, and offers bachelor programs in
Art direction, Graphic design, Interior architecture, Copywriting, Retail design and Service design for its 630 students. The institute is part of the School of Arts, Design, and Media (SADM), which also includes the Westerdals institute for performing arts, music and studio, the Norwegian University College of Dance and the Norwegian College of Musical Theatre. SADM, with its 1600 students and 120 academic FTEs, is the largest Norwegian academic community for arts and creativity at a college/university level. From fall 2021, all its institutes will be co-located in new facilities by Akerselva in Oslo. As part of the co-location of students and overall academic community, the programs offered by the school will provide students with options across its different specializations.
About the position:
50-100% position as assistant professor in service design at the Westerdals institute for communication and design, starting after individual agreement in the spring of 2020.
• Lesson planning and teaching, communicating from a Norwegian and international context
• Contribute to the further development Norway’s first bachelor’s degree in service design
• Student supervision and assessment
• Maintaining industry network and dialogue
• Academic and/or artistic development and communication within service design, design thinking or related disciplines
• Developing the bachelor program
• Internal meetings with faculty and head of department
Lectures at the institute are held in Norwegian, other Nordic languages and English.
The person that is hired must be prepared for changes in organization or work, due to future developments in the programs at the institute.
Applicants must document:
• Higher level education within the discipline or documented equivalent knowledge/skill. Please consult the competency requirements for the position of college lecturer in the regulation for employment and promotion for research and teaching positions § 1-6; https://lovdata.no/dokument/SF/forskrift/2006-02-09-129
• Industry/professional experience
• Experience with knowledge communication within the subject area
• Knowledge of a wide spectrum of methods and tools within service design
If there are no applicants who qualify for permanent position as a college lecturer, an applicant can be appointed for a temporary period of up to three years if the expert committee finds that they have the qualifications to obtain the necessary qualifications within this time, cf. uhl. § 6-5 (2). A new expert assessment will be carried out by the end of this period. Commission assessments can also be carried out for relevant candidates.
Applicants should be able to document educational and didactic competencies related to higher education and development of teaching and supervision. Applicants who do not have such a background upon appointment must undertake to complete the college's basic pedagogical competence program (15 credits) within two years.
• Experience with knowledge communication within design
• International/Scandinavian professional/academic network
• Experience with higher level academic institutions
• Good oral and written communication skills in English and preferably Norwegian/Nordic languages
• Project management
• Someone who shares our values: Practice-oriented, Broadminded, Ambitious, Creative and Tolerant
• Collaboration skills
• Independent and reliable
• Ability to contribute to a stimulating learning environment and a positive social climate
• Personal motivation and suitability for the position will be emphasized
The workforce should as far as possible reflect the diversity of the population. HK encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of age, gender, disability, religion, national or ethnic background.
• A CV summarizing education, practical experience and any other qualifying information
• A letter of application explaining the motivation for applying, emphasizing the applicant’s teaching philosophy
• A list of publications/development projects (if available)
• Approved diplomas and Transcripts (In Scandinavian or English language). If relevant, link to “vitnemålsportal”.
NB: Only applications sent through this portal will be considered.
• An exciting position at a university college in rapid development
• A positive and professionally stimulating working environment
• Great facilities located in central Oslo
• Good opportunities for professional development
• Corporate sports team and our own gym
• Salary after individual agreement
January 24th 2020
Do you have any questions?